Thursday 15 November 2007

So the restaurant calls and says a gift certificate is on the way - Not another Gift Certificate please - Unless...

So someone at the Hiccup restaurant (Vancouver's Italian Kitchen) finally called my sister (see post below) and said a gift certificate was on the way. We're waiting to see what exactly this certificate is for. From my perspective the only acceptable level would be a $250 gift certificate or roughly the amount I spent on the dinner we had at the restaurant. I already used a gift certificate (for $50) there and looked what happened. What I thought then was that the restaurant should have picked up the entire tab to compensate for the Hiccup (i.e. incompetence), nothing less. That would make me go back again and give the resto another try. Not that it will affect their business in any way (and that's not my intention or wish at all), but I for one will probably not go back there. There are just too many options out there in Vancouver and elsewhere. Contrast that experience with the one I had at the Au Parmesan Italian restaurant in Quebec City a few weeks ago. That restaurant was not as fancy and expensive, in fact it's a bit kitschy, but their service was prompt and friendly (if in a bit loud Italian kind of way). I suppose one of the biggest challenges in the restaurant business is consistency (and retention) of service. Au Parmesan has staff that has been there for years (and it shows - in a good way). Even Sergio the accordion player is like part of the family (maybe he is). And the food was very good (perhaps a bit on the side of cliché Italian, but very tasty). So be consistent and don't be cheap if you want to keep a customer or want to "make things right." Consumers are more savvy than ever and they expect real value for their money - whether the meal cost $20 or $200, it's all about expectations and the meeting or not meeting those expectations.
Cheers,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment