Wednesday 21 November 2007

About the Mexican term "Chilango" (see previous post)

I received an email about my use of the term "chilango" in my post September: USA down 7.9%, Mexico up 16.9%, Spain up 28%. Outdoor Ice Skating in Mexico City Those of you who do a lot of business in Mexico probably know the term very well. The concern is that the word chilango may have a derogatory connotation. Therefore, I want to clarify: the term Chilango comes from the Nahuatl “Ixachilan” meaning “immensity” - referring to the immensity of the continent – used first by the indigenous people who founded Mexico City area (Aztecs, Mexicas). Overtime, the term was used to refer to people not born in Mexico city who moved there and eventually it became the term to refer to people who were born in Mexico City or who live there. The negative connotation depends on who is using the term and how it is used. Usually (but not always) people who live in one of the Mexican states (i.e. not Mexico City) may use the term negatively (sort of the way Canadians refer to Torontonians sometimes) as in those $^#* chilangos. Today, Chilango in many circles is a proud term – as in “yo soy Chilango or I (heart) Chilangos.” In fact, one of Mexico’s most popular publications is called Chilango Magazine. I suppose I should have made it clear that I am a Chilango myself, having been born in Mexico City. In 2001, the word Chilango was included in the Dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy (although, with not a great definition).

Jaime
a Chilango Canadian (CaChilango or ChilangoCan?)
Cactus Rock New Media Ltd. (Cactus Rock is the loose translation into English of the Nahuatl word for Mexico City)

No comments:

Post a Comment