Tuesday 18 November 2008

Musings on Los Angeles (a break from blogging about PhoCusWright)

While I haven't done any sightseeing during the PhoCusWright Conference, I came to LA on the weekend in order to have some time to see a bit of Hollywood. Not because I have never been here but because I wanted to see what was new since I lived here in the eighties (I'm dating myself, but hey you are only old if you feel old) and I haven't visited the US in a long itme (Canada is a huge country and, after 19 years living there, I still haven't seen it all). Coincidentally, my sister was coming back from China (on her way back home to Vancouver), so I spent time with her and her husband and we went sightseeing around Hollywood last Sunday. Touring around Hollywood brought back fond memories of my time here when I was young and unafraid and wanting to be an actor. At that time there were two popular songs that summed up my feelings about Los Angeles: Randy Newman's I Love LA and Frank Sinatra's La is My Lady (surprisingly there's no YouTube video of ol' blue eyes singing the song). In fact the only time I saw Ol' Blue Eyes live was at the Universal Amphitheatre (known today as the Gibson Amphitheatre) and he did sing the song. So it's been an added bonus for me to come to the PhoCusWright Conference and reminisce, albeit briefly, about my days in this great American city originally known as el Pueblo la Nuestra Senora de Reina de los Angeles de la Porciuncula. I'll have to come back on Holidays with my lovely bride and my daughter with enough time to revisit Marina del Rey, Santa Monica and Venice Beach as well as the new downtown (new to me anyway, there was no Walt Disney Concert Hall at the time). After all, planning the trip should be a breeze given all the new travel planning digital services I have discovered at PhoCusWright.
.
.
-
Cheers,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment