Sunday 5 August 2007

One of my favourite spots in the World: Muskoka, Ontario

Just back from a wonderful week in cottage country north of Toronto. One of my favourite spots in the world is the Muskoka region in Ontario. For a few years now, my wife and I have rented a place in Muskoka to spend a week in the summer with our daughter and invited guests. This year our daughter invited 5 friends (13 and 14 year old girls) to spend the week with us. We rented a big place - actually two cottages on a cliff on lake Muldrew near Gravenhurst. Last year we invited another family to spend the week with us, but this year we figured our daughter could bring her best friends. It was a great week. The kids behaved very well and did their chores. We all had a very good time. We try to do this every year and it's the only week of the year that I make sure not to have email and Internet access whatswoever. It is a time to re-connect with my family, with nature and with Canada. I love the sensation of swimming in the lake. I also get a chance to do some canoeing near the cottage, an activity I would like to be better at (I know a man whose school could never teach him patriotism, but who acquired that virtue when he felt in his bones the vastness of his land, and the greatness of those who founded it. The Ascetic in a Canoe, P.E.T 1944) . I like Muskoka a lot because in addition to the peaceful fun at the lake, one can also visit the quaint little towns like Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville and one of my favourites, the small village of Port Carling.
So now it's back to work, although this month of August I will be able to combine work and Holidays in British Columbia, where I have friends, clients and relatives. I am working on ColombiaBritanica.com, a new Spanish language site, to promote BC and this trip will move things along nicely. I will finally visit Tofino and the Pacific Rim National Park and, of course, will spend several days in beautiful Vancouver, where I will visit clients and gather more material for Vancouver en EspaƱol.com.

Cheers,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment