Wednesday 15 August 2007

I kept exploring and stumbled upon a clothes optional beach near UBC. Orale!

Knowing that UBC is a topic of interest for thousands of Hispanic online users, yesterday I decided to explore the university on my visit to Vancouver in order to come up with more content for Vancouver en Espanol.com and el Blog de Canada.com. On yet another perfect sunny day in the Lower Main Land, I walked all over the University of British Columbia, admiring some of its architecture and impressed with all the green areas. I knew the University was right by the ocean and I wanted to get to that side of the campus, so I kept walking down the East Mall until I reached Cecil Green Park, an absolutely beautiful spot. From there I could see the ocean, but I wanted to get to the shore, so I went back up the road to follow the East Mall once again, but instead I saw a sign that leads to the beach. The sign indicates (although you might miss it) that the beach is "clothes optional." But this did not deter me from my quest to get to the ocean. I hiked down the amazing rain forest and finally reached the beach, which did not look great compared to Kitsilano. At Tower beach, there is a google number of rocks, stones and pebbles (very different from Kitsilano - another world in the same city - also not the famous Wreck beach that I think is more sandy and to the West of where I was). Nevertheless, I pressed on and walked in the direction of the Spanish banks. There was hardly anyone on the beach. Finally, I came to a clearing where there was sand instead of stones and the place just invited me to go au naturel all the way - definitely a new experience for this Latin Canadian - and I loved it! It was liberating. I even went in the water and cold as it was it felt great. (Mind you, I'm not sure if I want to do it with many people around - in any case, the experience will be great content for my Hispanic audience). After some time contemplating life and absorbing the beauty of the place, I had to go back to civilization, so I walked back to UBC and stopped by the bookstore where I heard a couple of young Mexicans talking. I said hello and struck up a conversation. It turned out one is studying English in Vancouver and the other was visiting. Funnily enough they wanted to go to the beach and asked me if I knew how to get there. Go figure. As for me, this experience is another item I will have to add to the Top Ten Canadian things to Do or Top Ten Things Canadians Should at Least Once in a Lifetime , a growing list in Canada en Espanol.com (not really ten...)

Keep Exploring,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment