Friday 20 February 2009

Fabulous, scrumptious lunch in Montreal with Tourisme Montreal

Yesterday, after a very productive meeting, I had the pleasure of having lunch with my friends from Tourisme Montreal. Carmen Ciotola and Emmanuelle Legault took me to Alexandre et Fils on Rue Peel. Strange that in all my years of visiting Montreal I had never heard of Alexandre's. I was very pleased with the service, which reminded of restaurants of old (with professional Maitre’D and servers). The ambiance and concept are French all throughout. I had a small salade verte to start with, which was fine. But then I had a salmon tartare appetizer and things got more interesting and enjoyable. The tartare was fabulous. For my main course I chose the chef's special of the day, Canard (duck). I don't usually eat duck (hard to find chefs who truly know how to prepare duck, but also I feel a bit like I shouldn't eat duck, like eating a loon, national symbol and too cute, like bunnies). But duck I ate, and it was absolutely scrumptious (my apologies to my beloved Muskoka loons). Perfectly cooked, melted in the mouth.
-
All of this brings me to a canadian (or fill in the nationality of your choice) tourism business point. Many people want to know how to get the attention of bloggers. One way is to hire one (or many) to blog about your business; another is to pay for a blog post on a particular blog - not things quite encouraged by some blogging purists - in the age of transparency - but more readily accepted if the blogger discloses the realtionship). More importantly, in my opinion one of three things must be present for bloggers (b - as in blogger - to c) to be interested: Either a very bad experience, an excellent experience or a very creative event. Run of the mill average mediocrity is not really conducive to writing about. As I replied to Carmen and Emmanuelle when they asked me how the duck was, I said "excellent, definitely bloggable." Of course, you might say that Alexandre et Fils got lucky (in the case of my blogs) because someone took me there for lunch. And you would be right. Most bloggers don't make a living blogging. They blog because they are passionate about the medium and want to express themselves. For some lucky ones, blogging may lead to a consulting gigs, a higher profile in their industry, decent advertising revenue or a big buyout; but this is rare. If you want a blogger to blog about your business try and contact him or her and ask what would it take for them to do it. It may be as simple as inviting them for lunch.
-
Salut,
Jaime Horwitz MBA

No comments:

Post a Comment