Monday 3 January 2011

To start the year: Favourite destinations and spots in Canada (Part I)

I thought that before we get into the business of tourism this new year 2011, I'd give you some of my favourite destinations and cool spots in Canada. I have too many to list in one blog post, so I will list them in separate posts in the coming days.

In no particular order of importance (all these places are great depending on what you might be looking for in a vacation or short getaway). If you haven't visited Canada these recommendations might help you in deciding where to go on your first trip to the Great White North. If you live in Canada, and you are like most Canadians, then you probably haven't seen enough of your country, so make a New Year's resolution that you will visit at least two or three places you've never been to before in your own country.

Whistler, BC - this being winter, I have to include Whistler Blackcomb as one of my favourite destinations in Canada. I've been to Whistler maybe 4 or 5 times in my life (not enough). One of the challenges is that Whistler is not a cheap destination and skiing is not a cheap activity. I love skiing, but there are so many other things to do and places to go that I can't go to Whistler as much as I would like to. Of course, if I lived in Vancouver, I'd go at least once a year. (In the summer visit Lost Lake - if you can find it...it's a local hangout and you can actually swim in it)

Mont-Tremblant, Québec - For those of us in Central/Eastern Canada, Tremblant is our Whistler. I must confess though that I have been to Whistler more times than to MT, and I have never skied in Tremblant. I have visited twice, both times in the summer. Tremblant is great all year round, by the way. The mountains and the lakes are beautiful and you can definitely enjoy the lakes in the summer.

Lake Louise, Alberta - I have been to Lake Louise once. It was during the month of December, but before the Holidays. I loved it. Stayed at the iconic Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. Definitely one of the destinations in Canada I really want to go back to and visit in the summer.

Banff, Alberta - Also loved Banff the one time I visited. Quaint little town in the midst of Banff National Park, an awesome place on earth. I have not seen anywhere near what there is to see in Banff so I hope to visit again very soon.

Jasper, Alberta - Another incredibly beautiful place in Canada. Of course, I'm spoiled now because I stayed at the Fairmont Jasper Lodge. It's not very easy to get to Jasper, but it's worth it, if you can afford it (unless of course, you are a camper). Definitely on the list of places to go back to.

Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia - a summer road trip, one of the best places for a driving vacation in Canada. I love Celtic, Scottish, Nova Scotian culture (and food). Maybe I was Scottish in another life. There are many quaint beautiful towns in Cape Breton Island like Cheticamp and Baddeck. The fortress of Louisbourg is amazing (visit in the summer). One of my favourite spots in Cape Breton Island is Meat Cove for its spectacular views. Meat Cove is at the very northern tip of the island in Inverness County.

Muskoka, Ontario - Muskoka is one of my favourite destinations, not only in Canada, but in the world. However, I must explain a little. For me, the way to enjoy Muskoka is in your own cottage, owned or rented. My family and I have rented the same cottage on lake Muldrew near Gravenhurst several times during the summers. It's a place where we enjoy wonderful Canadian nature, but with all the comforts of home. Muldrew Lake is very close to the Muskoka Wharf and not very far from Port Carling, another of our favourite spots in the area. So that's how we do Muskoka, but if you prefer the resort experience, there are many wonderful resorts with all the amenities. My family and I have stayed at the Rocky Crest (great for families), the Delta Sherwood (great for couples) and Deerhurst, but there are many others to choose from like Taboo and the J W Marriott (these last two are higher end and thus more expensive).

All the above destinations are great in winter, except for Cape Breton, so if you have time and money this season don't hesitate to visit.

Next Up: my favourite cities in Canada and my favourite spots in them.

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment