Wednesday 10 March 2010

Canadian Music Week in Toronto - Over 700 artists, how to choose?

I thought choosing films to watch at the Toronto International Film Festival was difficult with so many films at the festival. That seems easy compared to how to choose which showcases to go to at Canadian Music Fest (part of Canadian Music Week). It's a matter of time, in a way. With over 700 artists showcasing at CMF, how do you narrow down your choices? First, I go over the program and try to determine the kind of music that a particular showcase presents, e.g. metal? hip-hop? pop? country? Once I determine the kind of music I want to experience, then I will go to MySpace and listen to probably just one song (if the song grabs me in the first 30 seconds). If I come across a jewel, I will circle that showcase/artist and add it to my schedule. Then there are the hundreds of postcards lying around near the registration area at the Royal York. I may grab one or two of those if the image on the postcard catches my eye. I will then check out the artist on MySpace and follow the steps described above.
-
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment