Monday 15 March 2010

Canadian Music Week in Toronto - awesome!

Canadian Music Week is fast becoming one of my favourite events of the year. Ironically, I first discovered Canadian Music Week because my daughter became seriously interested in breaking into the music business. I attended last year's Canadian Music Week conference for the first time as well as the Canadian Music Fest, the largest new indie music festival in the country. The conference proper is for the music industry, but the MusicFest is open to the public, and it's a tremendous deal. Buy a wristband for $30 and you get access to a large number of showcases. Some showcases accept a limited number of wristband holders and some headliner shows require a ticket, but by and large, you can enjoy a lot of musical acts for a low price during MusicFest. (photo: Copenhagen's "A Friend in London" and Maddy Rodriguez)
-
Because of other commitments and deadlines, I was not able to cover as much of CMW and MusicFest as I would have liked (and I am already planning to clear my agenda during next year's event in order to cover more ground). However, I was able to attend several sessions of the conference and some showcases. One of the bands I really like is a band from Copenhagen, of all places, by the name of "A Friend in London." These young guys are loaded with talent and their front man, Tim Schou, has a fantastic voice. Their music is reminiscent of U2 and ColdPlay, but with their own stamp. I think they may go far.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment