Monday 2 June 2008

Didier Restaurant - grand slam, triple crown, hat trick. Fabulous Classic French cuisine in Toronto.

I am not a restaurant critic. Nor would I want to be. I think it would turn me off of food if I had to eat for a living. But I do love an exquisite meal as often as possible and I need to at least be aware of the culinary panorama in Canada in order to inform Hispanic travelers (Blog de Canada, Canadamigos, Canada en Espanol) about restaurant choices in our country.
-
This past weekend my family and I took my best friend out for dinner in Toronto. Our first choice was C5 the restaurant at the Crystal Gallery of the Royal Ontario Museum. C5 is sort of the restaurant du jour these days and we weren't able to get a reservation. My wife remembered that we`ve always wanted to dine at Didier's (since we`ve known about it) so we decided to take our friend (from Vancouver) there. What a diner!
-
Didier Leroy is one of the most celebrated chefs in Toronto. Originally from France, Didier graduated from the Ecole Hôtelière Médéric, in Paris, where Before coming to Canada he worked at Michelin-starred restaurants. After a few stints at various T.O. restaurants, most notably at The Fifth, Didier finally opened his French Bistro restaurant on Yonge St near St. Clair Avenue.
-
Didier specializes in Classic French cuisine and we were not dissappointed at all. On the contrary. It is rare for me to go to any restaurant and be delighted with each and every course of the meal. For starters I had the soup de marché which on this occassion was a fantastic soup of red and yellow peppers and cherry tomatoes (no cream added). After my first spoonful I declared it was the best soup I had ever tasted (still think so). I then followed with a salad, but not just any salad, I had a Crottin de Chavignol Chaud sur Roquette (warmed goat cheese, baby arugula, walnuts and walnut oil vinaigrette). Admittedly rich, but undeniably delicious. For the hat trick I ordered one of Didier's specialties, Tartare de Filet de boeuf Fait Main (hand cut beef tenderloing tartar). For a carnivore this dish is heaven. I hadn`t had steak tartare in years (mostly because it`s very hard to find a restaurant in Canada that will offer it). Three for three. I would have been happy with that. But to break the record, dessert was glorious. I wanted something light, fluffy, not too filling, yet sweet. My wish was granted with a Boul de Neige (snow ball) meringue dessert. Although the service was somewhat slow between courses, overall, it was an unforgettable dinner, worth every penny, we all agreed. Let`s hope Didier is around for a long time.
-
bon apetit!
Jaime

Share on Facebook
Follow the conversation at YackTrack!

No comments:

Post a Comment