Tuesday 17 June 2008

C5 restaurant at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, a disappointment.

I had read about it in various publications. It was on my list of restaurants to check out. This past Father's Day I finally went to the C5 restaurant, part of the Royal Ontario Museum's new Michael Lee-Chin Crystal structure designed by Daniel Libeskind. The restaurant is on the top of the gallery on the fifth floor with a stunning view of Toronto's skyline (looking south).
-
C5 is one of the hottest restaurants in Toronto at the moment. Frankly, I was disappointed. The food was alright, nothing extraordinary (see my review for Didier). Service was good and efficient. The space is grand in a sort of cold architecture kind of way. It could easily be adapted as a set for a sci-fi movie. But what we particularly did not like was the seating process. My wife had made reservations a few days in advance so we knew we would get a table. We arrived promptly a few minutes before noon, our reservation time. The hostess asked me to wait in the lobby bar while my wife and daughter went to the ladies' room. When they were back, the hostess guided us to our table. The dining room was almost empty save for a few tables here and there. The hostess took us to a centrally located table, but noticing tables by the window, I asked her if we could sit at one of them. She offered us another table closer to the window but not a window table. I asked why couldn't we get one of those tables to which she replied that they were reserved. I countered by saying that we had also made a reservation and asked her, what will you do for us if we sit at this other table and when we finish our brunch we notice that the window tables are still empty? She then asked us to go back to the reception area while she talked to her manager. I said no, we will wait for you here. A few minutes later she came back and gave us a table by the window. But that was not the end of it. Some time later, the manager stopped by our table and in a very dry manner told us she would need the table by 1:30pm (it was a few minutes past noon). I said yes, no problem. But the whole thing left a bad taste in our mouths.
-
Overall we were not impressed with C5 and as far as we are concerned we will not go back nor will we recommend it, neither here nor in my Spanish blogs, nor to any friends or colleagues. C5? C U L8R.


Share on Facebook
Follow the conversation at YackTrack!

No comments:

Post a Comment