Monday 26 May 2008

There's No Place Like This. Great discoveries in Ontario

I am a Canadian tourism professional in the communications and eMarketing sector of the industry. I am also some a sort of professional tourist since I moved to this country almost 20 years ago settling in Toronto. I travel around Canada for business and for pleasure. For business I always look for spots that can attract the Mexican, Latin American and Spanish visitors. For pleasure I just travel to see as much of Canada as possible. I have travelled to every area of the country, and yet, every once in a while I am reminded of how much I can still discover. Our country is so immense that even travelling full time would take a very long time to see it all.
-
Thanks to my daughter I discovered an area of Canada right in my neighbourhood so to speak. Not three hours away from home driving WEST I discovered Huron County and Ontario's West Coast. My daughter is an avid singer and my wife and I support her aspirations, so when she has an opportunity to sing we do our best to help her (she's 14). This past weekend, in the context of the Blythe Theatre Festival, she participated in Ontario's Country Singing Competition. This meant we had to go and stay in the area for a couple of nights. We found a hotel (through Google and Google Maps of all sites). The Bedford Hotel (formerly the Albion) in Goderich is an impressive building in the town's square (also impressive) that dates back to the 1890's. The rates were very reasonable and the staff very friendly. Mind you at night it was a bit noisy for our taste (a bride and groom party) and in the mornings the staff begins work early (rooms are not quite sound proof). Staying in Goderich was serendipitous because we could not find suitable accommodations in Blythe proper. But it turned out to be the best because we were 20 minutes away from Blythe and we had a beautiful town to go for a walk (Goderich's slogan is "the prettiest town in Canada" something that would be very debatable. I personally think it would be impossible to determine the prettiest town in Canada - what about Baddeck, N.S.; Canton-de-Hatley, Quebec; Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont; Banff, Alberta; Lunenberg, N.S.; Canmore, Alberta, Tremblant, QC, and many others).
-
While we were in Goderich we had fantastic weather if only a bit chilly, but with sunny blue skies. We went exploring on Highway 21 down to Grand Bend a town with a fantastic beach (all these years living in Toronto and I did not know about it - it shows you how limited marketing can be). Grand Bend is a young town meaning it seems to cater mostly to the young or to young families. The lake is so beautiful that one can take a photograph and fool someone by telling them it was taken in the Caribbean. We had lunch in Grand Bend at a local burger joint and the food was quite good for the money.
-
We also stopped in Bayfield, a much more upscale town than Grand Bend, also on Highway 21 not far from Goderich. Bayfield has beautiful homes by the lake and a beautiful main street reminiscent of Niagara-on-the-Lake, with quaint stores, bakeries, and restaurants. My wife and I decided that when we visit the area again we might stay in there. We very much enjoyed the drive and the exploring (in my native Mexico, when I was a kid, we used to call it "pasear en coche" and it was always a treat). To me (a hard core city boy), visiting these towns and driving by the numerous bucolic farms - seeing the young calves and foals amid green fields - was like going back in time or entering some kind of movie. The feeling of peace, beauty and tranquility of small town life in the towns we saw was quite invigorating. So, one thing we realized is that we may want to do more of these outings in the future, just a couple of days to explore some new town nearby (I think within 2 to 3 hours from Toronto - perhaps Bruce County since I have not visited Sauble beach). . In July we will be doing just that on our way to Quebec City to take part in the 400th Anniversary celebrations. We plan to drive from Toronto to Quebec taking the Chemin du Roy from Montreal. I am sure we will find many beautiful small towns there too. Because, after all and even though it's Ontario's marketing phrase (and anthem), I believe it can apply to all of Canada: There's No Place Like This.
-
Regards,
Jaime
www.ontarioenespanol.ca


Share on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment