Tuesday 8 July 2008

"Turning Moments into Memories" Fulfill your promise and don't overpromise

The Fairmont Resorts are arguably the best high end hotel/resorts in Canada. Famous for their architecture and historical value the Fairmont resorts are located in unique places in Canada such as Lake Louise, Alberta; Old Quebec City and La Malbaie in Quebec. Near the reception area of the Fairmont Manoir Richelieu there is a sign that reads "Our Mission: Turning Moments into Memories." Indeed great memories is what most travelers want to take away from their visits. But they don't want to take away bad memories. Sometimes the "devil is in the details." After a wonderful day and night at the Manoir, my wife and I returned to our spacious room for a good night sleep because we had to get up early to drive to Tadoussac for a whale watching tour. I, as my wife and millions of people, like to read before going to sleep. Buy my bedside lamp was not working. Being late I did not want a maintenance person to come up and fix it, but I did tell the person who answered my call to this Fairmont's "Royal Service" to make sure that all lamps in the room were working the next day. It's close to 5pm as I write this having come back from the whale watching tour and my lamp is still not working. Of course, I have gone down to talk to the manager in charge to tell her about this issue (and in passing also mention that when we arrived at the hotel yesterday there was no one at the President's Club desk, another promise broken). She was apologetic and said she would send someone up right away (no one has shown up yet) and was there anything she could do for us. What does one answer to that? "Give us a free night?" I said "no, just have the lamp fixed, please."
-
The point of this is not to criticize this particular Fairmont Hotel - I do love the Fairmonts and have stayed at nine of the properties (so far). The point is to illustrate an issue of expectations - those created by the hotel company and those in the guests' minds. I always expect the highest level of service and quality at luxury hotels. After all their rates reflect these expectations. So I (and my wife too) will not accept any less than the fulfillment of those expectations. Whatever your category of accomodation you must always manage your guests expectations and fulfill your brand's promise. Otherwise your guests will find somewhere else to stay the next time.
-
For the record I must also mention that everyone at the Fairmont Manoir Richelieu has been very very friendly and professional and we've had a great time for the most part. I hope to come back in the future.
-
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment