Monday 3 December 2007

Cities 2.0 - My Toronto Holiday Campaign vs. This is New York City

I sometimes visit the official tourism websites for Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, Canada's three biggest urban destinations to see if there's anything new and notable, not necessarily to plan visits since I know the cities quite well by now. I love Tourism Toronto's My Toronto Holiday campaign - it's a great web animation piece that encourages the online visitor to explore different areas of the city- first online and then in person. Hope it generates the results it deserves. The official site needs work, in my opinion, or a total new approach to include some Web 2.0 capabilities and more creative pieces like "MyTorontoHoliday."

But as much as I liked "MyTorontoHoliday" I have to say that I liked the new "This is New York City" video from NYCVISIT.com better. Granted the former is more of a call to action (including contest) campaign while the latter is more of a branding campaign, but both are examples of creative used to sell a destination. The NYC video is a fantastic example of how to inject a sense of FUN into a destination's message. And before you say - "well, but that's New York" - I must say that Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and certainly Niagara Falls can inject more Fun into their marketing (MyTorontoHoliday is a great start). This is where consumer generated content has limitations. Sometimes you do need some great creative supported by strong production values (i.e. Budget) in order to pull off something this good (I'm so jealous). Check it out - This is New York City:
.

.
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment