Monday 11 August 2008

Summer vacation is over. I look forward to the Fall/Winter season of Tourism Conferences

I've had a great summer so far. This is a very lucky state of affairs given that this summer has been the wettest summer on record in parts of Canada, including my home province, Ontario. I feel for those tourism businesses that depend in large measure on good weather over the summer months. Water based businesses like canoe and kayak rental outfits, golf courses, summer festivals - and a myriad of businesses that look forward to crowds of pedestrians walking about and stopping by - all have suffered to a certain degree the summer of rain we've had. Bad weather is the last thing we need in a very very challenging year for the industry with US visits at an all time low and still declining (June numbers come out next week) and many people opting for staycations instead of vacations.
-
I was very lucky because on our trip to Quebec we only had a couple of days where the weather was not cooperative and last week at the cottage in Muskoka (Ontario) we only had one sort of bad day weatherwise. Overall our two weeks away from work were tremendous.
-
After a week by a beautiful lake, I am all recharged and rearing to go. In addition to my usual work (promoting Canada to Hispanic markets, making sales calls, writing proposals, etc., etc.,) I am looking forward to the Fall and Winter season of tourism events and conferences. Beginning in October I will attend the Ontario Tourism Marketing Summit here in Toronto, followed by Canada's Tourism Leadership Summit in Gatineau, Quebec (Capital Region) in early November and possibly the PhoCusWright Conference , Travel Innovation Summit and Bloggers Summit in Los Angeles, also in November. Next January or early February, I will be attending the second Canada-e-Connect Online Tourism Strategy Conference in which I am quite involved having the honour to act as Chairperson.
-
So all in all lots to look forward to and plenty of work to stay out of trouble. Follow this blog for news and posts about the conferences.
-
I hope you've also had a good summer and I wish you the best for this coming Fall
-
Jaime
www.canadaenespanol.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment