Monday 7 April 2008

Very sad loss for Quebec and Canada - The Quebec City Armoury - Manege Militaire de Québec




I was very saddened to learn over the weekend about the fire that devastated the Quebec City Armoury, la Manege Militaire de Québec, home of the proud Voltigeurs, the oldest French Canadian infantry regiment, built in 1887. Every time I visit Quebec City I walk by this beautiful building and I am always impressed by its architecture and by the cleanliness of the surroundings. It's value to Canadian tourism is ver important, but its historical value is inestimable. This is a terrible loss, not only for Quebec City and the Province of Quebec, but also for the entire country. I do hope that the Federal Government, the Government of Quebec and perhaps the Ministry of Defense do everything in their power to rebuild and restore this magnificent building. I for one would be glad to pitch in as a citizen and make a contribution to the effort, just as thousands of people did when Stanley Park in Vancouver was hit hard by a storm. Just let us know how and where to make a contribution and I'm in. The fire came at a very very bad time when Quebec City is celebrating the 400th Anniversary of its founding and the Armoury is supposed to host some of the celebratory events.







Jaime Horwitz

Quebec en Español.com


Share on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment