Monday 4 February 2008

Canadian Tourism. The Little Pleasures of Toronto. What little pleasures do you know in your area?

We all know about the big pleasures, the "hits," the icons. In my Canada en Español website there is a page with the "Top (more than ten) Canadian things to do (or things Canadians must do at least once in a lifetime)." These include going to a Calgary Stampede, attending a Juste Pour Rire Festival in Montréal, skating the Rideau Canal, visiting polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba, driving around Cape Breton Island, going to the Yukon Quest in Whitehorse, and many others. But what about the small pleasures of a destination? Those hidden gems that may not be spectacular, but nonetheless can make a vacation more memorable. I am thinking of things like a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz in Montréal or a quiet moment of rest in Stanley Park, the Halifax Public Gardens or Mont Royal in Montréal.
-
This past Saturday afternoon I had to take my daughter to downtown Toronto for one of her many extra curricular activities. This particular lessons are held in a studio 4 minutes away from the Distillery District in Toronto. Once I dropped her off and made sure everything was fine, I made my way to the DD and walked to the locally famous Café Balzac. This coffee shop occupies one of the spaces in this 19th century distillery - turned arts and entertainment spot - that is also growing into the hub of a nice neighbourhood as well. The interior of Café Balzac is warm and cozy with its exposed brick and beautiful paintings and its comfortable loft area. But the best part of Café Balzac is its coffee. I ordered a double latte and a couple of croissants. Going up the stairs to the loft area I was happy to find a place to sit down and enjoy my coffee and re-read the Tips from the T-List (travel and tourism bloggers) while my daughter was taking her class. Nowadays one can learn about many of these lesser known holiday pleasures from many blogs out there in the blogosphere (I will write a related post for the Hispanic traveller in my BlogdeCanada.com).
-
I spent about an hour at the Café Balzac and loved it. The latte was superb and the croissants were quite good. Nothing spectacular, just one of those little pleasures.
saludos,
-
Jaime


Share on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment